Slogan Kita

"walaupun diantara kita berbeza idealogi,berbeza pendapat dan sebagainya lagi tapi ketahuilah satu perkara yang kita adalah sahabat dan teman selamanya."

Thursday 6 October 2011

just simple story about us







just an idea

In 1991, some students graduated from my high school. We had spent the previous 5 years learning our parts, and rehearsing to become ourselves. On that commencement day in november ( after SPM) we knew it was time to begin Act One of our lives. Some of us believed we knew the roles we were destined to play, but most, myself included, had only the vaguest idea of what the coming years would bring.

I understood that parenthood and career must be the central themes of Act Two. And the outline of this act, while blurry at the furthest edge, seemed much clearer than before. I was a 38-year-old now and wrong for so many roles. Like some of my classmates, I had learned an important truth: Parenthood is a blessing but also a heavy responsibility. You can‚Äôt be winging it when your kid depends that you‚Äôll be there when the bus drops her off after school. Most of my classmates were also pretty much set in their roles. We were contractors,  cooks, librarians, teachers,army and etc . We even had a movie producer,( cuba teka siapa kah gerangan sahabat kita itu ) although he didn‚Äôt show. We were launched in well-defined careers; it wasn‚Äôt likely that any of us would switch jobs to become astronauts or models or rock stars. Lots of us were married, but I was surprised at just how many were still, or newly, on our own. At least we singles might expect in our second acts to enact the delicious complications of romantic comedy -- or the wrenching tragedy of love lost.

An ocean of ink has been spilled in the attempt to analyze the Baby Boom generation, yet I’m not sure we understand much about ourselves. But it seems to me that these reunions present a unique opportunity for members of any generation to gather and compare notes. What have we done? What have we failed to do? And for the class of 1991, what remains for us to do in Act Three? For the third will be the final one for the majority of us. According to the Centers for Disease Control, as an average white male of my age, I can expect to live untill one DAYS

As I start my own third act, I already know how it will end, as do we all. But given that, I don’t feel as constrained in my role as I did at the start of Act Two. Although I am still a dad, I have done with raising kids. Although I will always write, I no longer need to prove to anyone that I am a writer( cita2 je...nak menulis tapi tak tahu nak tulis apa..heheheh). And now , i will learn as a writer or maybe a computer programmer.

So what is left for us? I believe that it’s time to look to the future, even though we may live to see but a fraction of it. The class of 1991 ventured out into the world with high ideals. If we have not always lived up to them, there is still time – a score of years, more or less -- to redouble our efforts. The world we have made is filled with wonders and anguish, but we are not yet done making it. Our third act can be action-packed, but only if we act. I am convinced that, to paraphrase Shakespeare, the best of us will continue to strut and fret our hour upon the stage, right up until we make that last exit.

No comments:

Post a Comment